Wednesday, March 16, 2011

When Tragedy Strikes

I've been a little overwhelmed with current events lately. Earthquakes in Australia, earthquakes and tsunamis in Japan, just looking at the pictures is devastating. I also found out that a friend of mine from high school committed suicide. She has lost both of her parents recently, and I guess it all became too much for her to take.

All of these events make me feel powerless, and guilty. Powerless because there is nothing I can do. I can give money, send prayers and good thoughts to the victims, but I can't roll up my sleeves and get to work. I feel guilty that my life is so easy, that I take it for granted, and that I live in peace and plenty every day. Why are these people be suffering, and I'm not? Nothing makes me better than they are, I just got lucky.

The one good thing that has come from all of this is that it has given me some perspective. After reading about people who have not had water and electricity for days, I can't help but appreciate taking a hot shower and being able to flip a switch for light. I have a roof over my head, a steady job, plenty to eat, and a support system that would be there to catch me if life starts to overwhelm me. My little problems are so incredibly mundane and unimportant in comparison.

I'm not really sure if there is an answer here. My plan is to do what I can (I'm planning on giving blood next week, and donating some money to the Red Cross at work) and then stop thinking about it. I wont be logging in to CNN or listening to the news for a few days until I feel more ready to digest everything.

No comments: