Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Prophet Said to Plant a Garden, So That's What We'll Do

An article in this month's Ensign made me think about starting a garden. We have a porch that we hardly ever use, and it would be a perfect place to put some pots.

Only one problem: I have a brown thumb (that's the opposite of a green thumb) but I have kept a very hardy houseplant alive for almost a year, so I thought, what the heck, let's give it a try! After a lot of googling I felt prepared to get started.

We went to Home Depot and bought pots, potting soil, cilantro, rosemary, and tomato plants, and a hanger to go over the porch railing (there is a shrub in front of our porch, so the floor doesn't get that much sunlight).

First, we soaked the plants in water. I just soaked them in the sink.
Then I filled the bottom of the pots with gravel for drainage. This part was pretty funny, because the rocks kept falling out of the little drainage hole. But eventually a rock big enough to stay there got caught, and it worked just fine.
Next we hung up the plant holder. I don't have a picture of this because it was a two person job, so no one was left to take a picture! Then you tear the bottom of the eco pot off, put it in the pot, and surround it with potters soil.
So here is out little garden. It was pretty dark by the time we finished, so you can't really see it, but I'll take some more pictures as it starts to grow more. I want to try starting from seeds next, but I needed a little instant gratification to get me going!

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Woolverton Girl said...

Cool! I hope your plants do well for ya'! We are planting one this weekend. Hopefully it'll turn out better than my previous attempt. :/