Monday, January 17, 2011

Winning Isn't Everything

It's no secret that I'm a huge Spurs fan. I jokingly tell people that I moved here because I was a Spurs fan, but it's more true than I care to admit. So you can imagine my happiness with our record this year. Top in the league baby, and the second best starting record in the NBA ever!!

And yet...

Only 3% of NBA players think that the Spurs have what it takes to win a championship. Why is this? Well, if you read anything Gregg Popvitch is saying, winning isn't everything. Sure, they have been able to pull out a lot of wins, but most of them have been by extremely small margins, and in the last few second of the games. Our defence is, well, embarrassing for most of the game, and we can't seem to pull it together until the second half. So while our win/loss record shows a good story, if you look deeper, the Spurs don't have what it takes the way they are playing right now. I have full faith they can get there, but only if they start pulling it together.

I think life is like this. We see people who seem to be 'winning', whatever that means. They have a great career, a great family, are beautiful, organized, have big beautiful homes, and perfect hair. I don't know about you, but it's hard for me not to envy those people. But if we look a little deeper, maybe there is something missing. Maybe they are so busy with their awesome jobs that they don't have enough time to do the really important things. Maybe their hyper-organization makes them stay awake at night with lists running through thier mind.

I'm not saying that we should look at others' lives and try to find what they are doing wrong just so we can feel better about ourselves. I'm just saying that we can't always look at the end result - the win - and assume that everything along the way has been right.

No comments: