Friday, January 7, 2011

My Official New Years Resolutions!

Last year I didn't make a New Years Resolution, I guess I was already perfect :). But this year I really wanted a goal to work for. Not just something general like lose weight or be better with my money, but something that I could really measure. I had a big list of things I wanted to do, but I decided to narrow it down to two. So. Drum roll please!

1) Run a 5k.
2) Only buy used clothes, shoes, and accessories for a year.

I have walked a few 5k's (how do you pluralize that??), but I want to run the full 3.1 miles without walking or stopping. I know this probably sounds easy to a lot of people, but I am not a runner by any means. I'm going to start with an easy walking program (found here) and move my way up to running using a podcast. The best part about starting with walking? Steve has agreed to do it with me! We'll see if I can talk him into starting the running portion in two more months!

There are a few reasons I want to exclusively thrift shop this year. First of all, I want to save money. At most thrift stores I can buy a whole outfit for what one shirt would cost me at a full price store. Second, it's more environmentally sound. Third, clothes are being made with worse quality all the time. It seems that anytime I buy something new it looks old after a few wears. Fourth, I feel the need to be more creative with my clothes, and shopping in regular stores seems to stifle that creativity.

So there you have it. Wish me luck!

No comments: