Friday, January 28, 2011

All I Have is Time

I'm working from home today, which means between IM's, reading through sources, and the other hundred things that make up a work day, I also get to do a little housework! I try to take 5-10 minute breaks every hour and do something useful, like put in a load of laundry or sweep the kitchen floor. Today loading the dishwasher was on my 5 minute task list, so I dutifully rinsed the dishes, and stuck them in the dishwasher. Like always, there were some dishes that can't be washed in the dishwasher. I was going to save them for later, like I usually do (and when I say later, I mean a few days later. Or until I need to use it. Or can't see the sink anymore...) but I thought to myself, why not just do it now? I put on my favorite song (still Party in the USA, if you're wondering, yes, I know, it's over a year old, and sung by Miley...) and started running the water.

I was done washing and rinsing the dishes and wiping off the counters before the song was over. I was so suprised! Seriously? That's all the time it takes to do a sink full of dishes? (The song is 3:22, I checked) Why don't I do that all the time? Can I really not spare an extra 3 minutes to really clean my kitchen well?

It made me wonder how many other things I put off becuase I "don't have the time", when I could proably get most of it done while I was making the excuse not to do it!

This reminded me of one of my favorite quotes, which used to be on my mirror, and will be again soon!


"Order your life more effectively and eliminate trivia, meaningless detail,
and activity. They waste the perishable, fixed, and limited resource of
time.
Choose to emphasize those matters that have an eternal consequence."

Richard G. Scott, Making the Right Choices


No comments: