Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Why Format??

It's 6:30 in the morning. I'm awake. Not only am I awake, but I am up and doing homework... It's a crazy world. I'm having a huge writers block, mostly becuase I don't care about data driven decision making in schools, so I thought I would blog a bit, maybe get the writing juices flowing a bit!

I decided that I hate APA format. Or any type of format, really. I hate that it can tell me what kind of font to use, and what size, and where to put my commas. I understand the need for everything to be consistent, but does it really matter if I have two spaces after a sentence instead of one?? Is my point not valid if I don't italicize the name of a journal? Really?

Overall, I would say school is going well. I really love being in the classroom again, it is so fun! What I don't love so much is the homework, but what can you do? The funny thing is, if I did half the things I tell my students to do every day, I would be just fine. But I don't. I procrastinate, I don't set up a schedule, I don't check to make sure my citings are correct, I just copy and paste them from the generator! I feel some cognitive dissonance coming on (Hey look! I'm applying my learning!)

1 comment:

Allison said...

At first, I thought you were talking about the band, "THE FORMAT". I was going to scream at my computer screen. The Format is so amazing. What is not so amazing is the APA formatting. I have a hatred for that thing. It is the nightmare of all nightmares. The scum between my toes (I don't have scum between my toes... really!). It definitely should be disbanded and considered inaccurate. It's really confusing! EW!