Thursday, January 31, 2013

This is Your Life

“If it falls to your lot to be a street sweeper, sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures, sweep streets like Beethoven composed music … Sweep streets like Shakespeare wrote poetry. Sweep streets so well that all the host of heaven and earth will have to pause and say: Here lived a great street sweeper who swept his job well.” -Martin Luther King Jr.

I know bringing Baby home is going to change my life so drastically. I've been thinking a lot about what I want to accomplish, what I want my life to look like. But mostly I think about what I don't want it to look like. I don't want to be frazzled, bored, slothful, impatient and negative (not that I won't be any of those things sometimes, I just don't want to consistently be there!).

Since that's where my mind has been recently, this quote by Martin Luther King Jr really spoke to me. I think it is important to remember that even if our daily work isn't grand or showy, we can still work to be excellent. I also think its important to remember that I always have a choice. I can choose to be productive or choose to be slothful. I can choose to be happy or to be miserable no matter what my circumstances are.

No comments: