Friday, August 27, 2010

Taking Advice

I've been thinking today about all the advice I give out on a daily basis. Students call, email, or drop by to tell me what's going on with them (sometimes I wonder if they make stuff up to get out of class, how many times can you get divorced/your grandmother get ill/your work hours get increased?) and I listen, ask probing questions (can you tell me more about that?), and then try and help. If I followed even half of the advice I give out, I would be much better off.

A few pieces of advice I should take myself:

1) Look at all your options and figure out what will work best for you.
2) Life happens- give yourself a break now and then.
3) Make a schedule! Set days for personal time, and time for work. Don't let one take over the other.
4) Ask questions. The worst they can do is tell you no.

What I really do:

1) Do what is easy. So what if you're screwing up your future? You get to sleep in now! Hard work may pay off later, but procrastination pays off now!
2) When something goes wrong, cry, and then make ambitious plans on how to correct the problem.
3) Do whatever, whenever. Put important things off, and let them stress you out so you don't even enjoy relaxing.
4) Never ask a question. Don't even try to return the ugly wedding gifts, what if they tell you no??

No comments: