Saturday, August 25, 2012

A Baby Story

So, I know this is old news, but I didn't want to post anything on the interwebz until I told my manager. And I didn't want to tell my manager until I made it through the first trimester, so I had to wait. Besides, writing things hasn't been at the top of my to do list. Sleeping, puking and thinking about unpacking boxes - those are at the top these days!

So anyway, yes, I got knocked up. Don't worry, it was by my husband. For anyone who was not aware, we had been doing fertility treatments since November of last year. But I was on Steve's insurance, and said insurance did not pay for these treatments. So after several really hard months (seriously, fertility treatments have to be one of the most difficult things in the world, both on your body AND your emotions), we decided to take some time off to go on vacation and focus on buying a house.

After we went on vacation, closed on our house and moved in, I went back to the doctor to get another prescription for another round of treatments and take a blood test to see if I had ovulated that month (another thing about fertility treatments - they make you REALLY comfortable talking about your reproductive system). I got a call when I was out of town that I hadn't ovulated, so I waited for my next cycle to start to the next round of meds.

I waited. And I waited. And I waited some more. Finally, on a Monday morning, I decided to take a pregnancy test. It was negative. Not a big deal, I take lots of pregnancy tests, and they have always been negative. So I threw it away and went to work.

All day at work, I felt SO sick. I went to Subway for lunch, and the meat in my sandwich tasted SO gross, I couldn't even finish it! I thought about how glad I was that I had taken the test that morning, or I would be thinking I was pregnant. I was so sick by the end of the day that I couldn't even think about making dinner. Even thinking about taking meat out of the freezer made me want to yammy.

All through the week I was so sick, and so tired, but I figured I had the stomach flu, or was stressed from the new house buying activities. But I kept thinking about that test in the garbage in the back of my mind. On Thursday, I was telling my mom about how sick I was and she told me it sounded like I was pregnant. I told her about the negative test, and we moved on. But when he hung up, I had the strongest feeling that I should go dig the test out of the trash. So I did it (is there anything grosser than bathroom trash??).

And the test was positive.




I had no idea what to do. Could it just be positive because it was old? It had been sitting in my trash for four days. So I took another one.

And it was positive too.


So yeah, I got knocked up. Without any meds, and apparently without ovulating that month (turns out, I ovulated two weeks late).

And that is my baby story.


Amy said...


*Ashley said...

That was an exciting story to read! I had no idea all that was going on! Congrats!! Definitely keep us informed! I'm already making my guess that it's a girl!!! :)

Jenny said...

You rock! I am glad you wrote it down and now you will never forget! You guys rock, I am so excited for the adventures ahead for you.