Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I Made It

I ran (read: walked) my first 5k this weekend. I didn't stop once, which was my only goal. Well, that, and finishing. For pictures, see the roommate blog! I had a really hard workout the day before, so I was pretty beat by the end of the day, and sore all over on Sunday. But I did it!

Life has been a little more than crazy lately. I feel like I barely have time to breathe. My laundry is piling up, I never grocery shop, and I can't remember the last time I did my nails. It's good, because I feel like I am actually doing something with my life, but I think it's kind of sad when I have to schedule time to relax.

I've been thinking a lot about time management lately. I have read several books and even taken a couple of trainings on the subject. So I know the concept. But finding a system that works for me is hard! My life is too spontaneous to have a firm plan in place, and too busy to not have one. Finding the balance between over planning and under planning is difficult for me. My organized side wants to schedule every waking moment, while my social side begs for time to go out at a moments notice.

I had a boss once who compared his life to plate spinning. I didn't really understand what he meant at the time, being a college student who thought it was normal to not have anything to do until 10 AM every day. But now I see what he meant. As soon as I get a couple of plates in the air, I have to run over and make sure that others aren't falling. I manage to keep them all spinning, but I'm always running. One moment of rest, and it all could fall down. I feel a little more like this guy!

No comments: