Saturday, November 10, 2012

Commitment Issues

I love having a fireplace. Not because I think it will be nice on cold winter days to curl up next to a fire. Let's face it. I live in South Texas. It's November and it was 82 degrees today. Maybe in a really cold year we would actually light a fire five times.

No, I love having a fireplace because it comes with a mantle! It's a built in shelf that can hold so many cute things! All of those candle holders I randomly picked up at Goodwill now have a home! I love rearranging the mantle, trying out new things, new colors, new height combinations.

Today I had the idea to start stacking pictures on the mantle. Hey, I'm not putting them on the walls, I might as well do something with them, right? And that's when it hit me. The clock would look so cool up there! So I put it up in the middle, and it looked great. Only... it was too low! So now I really want to try hanging the clock up there.

But... the mantle is brick. Hanging something in brick is a commitment! It involves special drill bits and stuff that I let Steve think about. Once it's up there, you can't just take it down or move it. And if I get tired of having the clock there, I will be forced to put something else there to cover up the hole.

I'm just not ready for that type of commitment...

No comments: